Monday 18 November 2019

Data update

56%!
That's how many of my students made accelerated progress in the last 12 months in reading!

I've been nervous throughout the year as to whether I was making enough difference.  What if Manaiakalani made all this investment in me (time, travel, energy, the trip to Sydney) and I was just tinkering around the edges?  I'd seen evidence of progress at key points in the year, but the mid year asttle data wasn't as promising as what I wanted to see, and norm-referenced tests are what cuts it most when you are sharing your project widely like this.

So I was really thrilled to see huge progress showing up in the PAT reading results this term.  As a leader, I've also been involved in supporting initiatives across English classes, particularly year 10 English classes, and so I'm thrilled to announce that we made a big difference across our cohort: 57% made accelerated progress across the last 12 months.  Interestingly, the summer break wasn't a summer drop for us.  The results for value-added from the beginning to end of year 10 are 32% accelerated progress for my own class and 31% for the year 10 cohort.  That is because a lot of students made improvements between October 2018 and February 2019.  Let them rest and read?  

Highlights:
  • working collaboratively with my fellow MIT teachers, and Dorothy, Anne, Dave & Gerhard.
  • working with my super English team at Grey High.  Special thanks to Lauren Evans, assistant HoD, who has led the implementation of common assessment tasks in reading each term this year.  We have seen huge gains through this.
  • Seeing my reluctant readers flourish.  One student, who I had to persuade to attempt the reading test each term (whether it was PAT, Asttle or one of our common assessment tasks that we made ourselves) as he was convinced that he was stupid and couldn't do it, has made 20 points of progress since the end of year 9, and 9.7 points of progress from the beginning to the end of this year.  He read his first novel ever, and wrote about aspects of that novel for me in class. 
  • The young man who did increasingly well in the termly common assessments and shared his tips for approaching a text in a test with the class made 21.9 points of progress this year alone (24.6 in 12 months), getting every single question correct in his October 2019 PAT reading test.
  • My student who arrived part way through the year, not keen to talk to anyone or to focus on learning.  We slowly built up trust and started to talk to each other, then we worked on writing volume, after months of her not writing anything.  In the asttle writing test, she wrote 198 words.  I am so proud of her.  Next stop is some serious NCEA progress.
  • Two very quiet boys who grew in confidence to ask questions about their learning through the year, and responded well to our class use of Socrative for formative assessment.  They both made accelerated progress.
Next steps:
  • Some more work on resources for use with my 12 step programme on my tool.
  • Sharing my inquiry more widely in our Toki Pounamu community.  I've been asked to present to primary teachers at a teacher only day in late January 2020, which I'm happy to do.
  • Linking my work with T shaped literacy.  We all read Aaron and Selena's article on T shaped literacy earlier this term in the English department.  We are up for working this in with our 2020 junior programme
  • Further study!  I've been granted a study support grant for 2020 which gives me four hours of release time per week to undertake some postgraduate study in literacy education.  I'm looking at doing one (maybe two) paper(s) at the University of Auckland.
Our Grey High annual plan hui is tomorrow, and my work collating and interpreting our junior literacy data information is here, with my bulletpoints for the slide show below:
  1. Results are improved on 2018.
  2. Looking across two years is valuable, which fits with the year 10 graduate profile approach.
  3. Maori achievement close to, and sometimes exceeding, overall cohort in year 9. 
  4. Writing continues to be a challenge for year 10 boys, and this impacts their access to the full range of subjects from year 12. (Target?) 
  5. Group of struggling year 10 girls evident in the data. 
  6. Has year 9 achievement been adversely affected by very high levels of staffing changes across the curriculum? 
  7. Higher than usual numbers of students absent across three weeks of offering the tests. Impact of truancy/medical/other attendance issues on achievement?






2 comments:

  1. YES ! So excited to see this Sandra. What a sense of achievement you must be feeling. I am delighted to see you have further study opportunities so this becomes part of a bigger study. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete